Colorado Recreational Marijuana Handbook
Colorado Marijuana Tax Rate
|Sales Tax Medical||Excise Tax Medical||Max Medical Tax||Sales Tax Recreational||Excise Tax Recreational||Max Recreational Tax|
2022 Colorado Recreational Marijuana Handbook
Colorado has 7 bordering states consisting of Arizona, Kansas, Nebraska, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Utah, and Wyoming.
Recreational marijuana is legal in Arizona and is subject to a sales tax of 5.60%. There is also a 16% excise tax on all sales of recreational marijuana in Arizona.
Recreational marijuana is legal in New Mexico and is subject to a sales tax of 5.13%. There is also a 12% excise tax on all sales of recreational marijuana in New Mexico.
Recreational Marijuana is illegal in Kansas, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Utah, and Wyoming, so there is no tax on recreational marijuana in those states.
About Colorado Recreational Marijuana
Is recreational marijuana legal in Colorado?
Yes, recreational marijuana is legal in Colorado
When and how did Colorado legalize marijuana recreationally?
Colorado legalized recreational marijuana in 2012. This law was passed using Amendment 64 and passed with a vote of 55%. The official name for this law is Colorado Constitution Article 18, section 16: Personal Use and Regulation of Marijuana, Colorado Constitution
Colorado Recreational Marijuana possession limits
- 1 oz usable
- 1 oz hash/concentrates
- 6 plants per resident (no more than 3 mature)
What are the restrictions on growing at home?
As of January 1, 2018, households are limited to 12 plants. Marijuana plants must also be kept in an enclosed, locked area that is out of plain sight.
- At homes with occupants under 21, any marijuana grow area must be in a separate, locked space inaccessible to the minors.
- At homes without occupants under 21, any visiting youth can not have access to marijuana plants, so extra precautions must be taken.
- Homegrown marijuana, or any products produced from it can not be sold to anyone.
- Up to one ounce of marijuana may be given to adults over 21 without payment