Florida: Medical Marijuana Handbook
Florida Marijuana Tax Rate
|Sales Tax Medical||Excise Tax Medical||Max Medical Tax||Sales Tax Recreational||Excise Tax Recreational||Max Recreational Tax|
2021 Florida Medical Marijuana Handbook
Florida has 2 bordering states consisting of Alabama, and Georgia.
Medical marijuana is legal in Alabama and is subject to a cannabis sales tax of 9.00%. There is also a 9.00% cannabis excise tax on all sales of medical marijuana in Alabama.
Medical Marijuana is illegal in and Georgia, so there is no tax on medical marijuana in those states.
About Florida Medical Marijuana
Is medical marijuana legal in Florida?
Yes, medical marijuana is legal in Florida
When and how did Florida legalize marijuana for medical use?
Florida legalized medical marijuana in 2016. This law was passed using Ballot Amendment 2 and passed with a vote of 71.3%. The official name for this law is the Florida Medical Marijuana Program
Florida Medical Marijuana possession limits
- 4 ounces
- no plants
Is it legal to grow marijuana for medicinal use at home in Florida?
No, medical marijuana patients are not allowed to grow marijuana for medicinal use a home.
Are there medical dispensaries available to patients?
Yes, as long as the patient presents the appropriate documentation for Florida.
At this time, The OMMU does not allow new medical marijuana dispensaries in Florida. At some point in the future, new licenses will be issued with an application process outlined. The licensing requirements are very strict in Florida for dispensaries:
- A business must have been registered in the state for at least five years prior to applying.
- A valid certificate of registration must be issued prior to applying by the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services.
- The operation must show that they have the technical and technological ability to successfully cultivate and produce marijuana.
- The dispensary must be secured.
- There must be accountability for all raw materials and byproducts.
- The dispensary must be located where it can dispense to qualified patients.
- Financial security must be shown for at least two years with complete financial statements.
- Upon approval, a bond of $5 million must be issued by a surety insurance company.
- Medical marijuana treatment centers that provide care to at least a thousand patients must have a $2 million performance bond.
- Everyone involved, including board members, must undergo a background check.
- A diversity plan must be put in place that promotes minorities, veterans, and more.
Is there a list of specific conditions for medical marijuana in Florida?
- Parkinson’s disease
- Multiple sclerosis
- Terminal illnesses
- Malignant pain
- Crohn’s disease
- Chronic muscle spasms
The list above, and more detailed information on it, can be found in the Florida medical marijuana law
Does Florida have a medical registry system or ID card?
Yes, Florida keeps track of their medical marijuna patients.
Florida has a state registry and issues medical marijuana cards.
Does Florida recognize patients from other states?
No, Florida does not recognize patients from any state.
Are there any age restrictions for medical marijuana in Florida?
Patients with qualifying medical conditions who are under the age of 18 will qualify for medical marijuana. They must have an authorized caregiver purchase the product.